Beer Braised Sausage On Sweet & Spicy Warm Slaw
A taste of summer year round ! Guiness beer. Sausage. Peppers. Those are just a few of the ingredients that make this dish a stand out! You won’t need your grill, so if it is stored for the winter already .. not a problem. This sausage is braised and slow cooked in beer and served over a slaw. No, not cole slaw , that would be for summer. We are talking about a warm slaw with a kick. Sweet & spicy to keep you warm this winter. The recipe is easy to adjust the spice level just in case you are not a fan of spicy.
Just look at all this color ! Fresh, crunchy, flavorful. It won’t be long before this is a new favorite in your household.
- 1 Guiness Beer
- Sausage of your choice (we used a German Cheddar Sausage)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 red pepper, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- In a skillet on medium high heat, drizzle olive oil and add sausages. Brown on each side (about 1 minute)
- Add the beer, mustard and a pinch of salt & pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer.
- Cook for 15 minutes covered and an additional 10 minutes without the cover.
- Remove the sausages from the pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, over medium heat drizzle olive oil and add vegetables
- Mix in the vinegar, sugar, garlic and seasonings.
- Saute for about 10 minutes, add sausage back to the pan on top of the slaw.
- Heat through together covered until sausage is warmed again.
- Serve hot with a drizzle of dijon mustard!